Hormone Imbalances don’t just affect women. Know the signs for Men.
The office of Leigh Ann Scott, M.D. offers bioidentical hormones for men as well as for women. It’s more common to associate hormone replacement therapy with women, especially because women’s hormone levels fluctuate and wane so significantly as they enter the menopausal years. However, men have their own version of menopause, but it’s called Andropause.
The word Andropause originates from the Greek words “andras,” meaning human male and “pause,” meaning “cessation” and is a syndrome associated with a decrease in sexual satisfaction or decline of a general sense of well-being associated with low testosterone levels of men.
Whereas women’s symptoms can come on more suddenly as they transition out of the childbearing years, men’s symptoms tend to be more gradual. Because of this, most men don’t think of themselves as possibly having hormonal imbalances. Instead, they may just think the way they feel is a natural part of aging and not realize that bioidentical hormone replacement therapy can help them to feel more youthful again and keep them healthy!
Andropause is not the only hormone issue that men may experience. Men of all ages can experience Thyroid conditions and other hormonal imbalances brought on by excessive stress, medications, excess weight, unhealthy lifestyle, and other factors.
If hormones for men are optimally balanced, you should be sleeping well, have energy, a strong immune system, a strong sex drive, and a healthy zest for life. If you are not experiencing these feelings of vitality, imbalanced or insufficient hormone production is often the cause.
Symptoms of Hormone issues in Men include:
- Loss of muscle mass
- Low mood/depression symptoms
- Increase and redistribution of fat (more around the abdomen)
- Lowered sex drive
- Difficulty getting or maintaining an erection
- Decrease in motivation
- Decreased bone density
- Decrease or loss of self-confidence
- Difficulty remembering things or trouble concentrating
- Difficulty sleeping
- Joint aches
- Poor tolerance for exercise
Causes of Hormone Imbalances
Aging isn’t the only cause of Andropause. Other endocrine imbalances can contribute too. While testosterone is the most important and predominant sex hormone, its production depends on an array of other hormones and their function too. Other common things that can cause or accelerate testosterone insufficiencies include:
- Poor health or illness
- Carrying extra weight
- Alcohol in excess
- Some medications
- Thyroid imbalances
- Sleep apnea
- Insulin resistance
- Estrogen imbalance (men make estrogen too)
- Poor diet
- High inflammation levels
- High lipid levels
- Lack of exercise/sedentary lifestyle
Stress can be mental, physical, and/or emotional. For example, a poor diet can stress the body. You may not feel it at first but over months or years, your body and mind will slowly start to decline which can lead to a weakened immune system and being more vulnerable to disease and premature aging.
Low levels of testosterone can in turn increase risk factors for metabolic syndrome, obesity, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, and cardiovascular disease. Testosterone deficiency and imbalanced hormones for men are also associated with an increased risk factor of death within 20 years, independent of other risk factors and preexisting disease.
Bioidentical Hormones for Men and Anti-Aging Services
The proper way to address Andropause is through an integrated, personalized, comprehensive, and regularly monitored program. Our treatment protocol incorporates laboratory testing, provider consultation, comprehensive health assessment, medically proven supplements, and professionally compounded bioidentical hormones tailored for your individual needs.
We want you to be healthy and maintain the optimal balance of all hormones necessary to ensure that your overall wellness is the best it can possibly be. Our program relies on the expertise of our providers. They will use their medical knowledge and experience to help you make the best decisions regarding diet, exercise, stress management, pharmaceutical-grade supplements, and hormones for men, as you work to achieve optimum physical and mental health so that you can lead an active and productive lifestyle that you desire!
Please note that we do not prescribe “off-label” testosterone therapy for men whose testosterone levels are normal but are wanting to only promote increased muscle mass. Dangers and side effects of this type of treatment can lead to the decreased natural levels of testosterone production as well as other side effects.
Benefits of Bioidentical Hormones for Men
- Increased energy
- Restored and/or increased libido
- Improved mood
- Increased muscle mass/less fat
- Improved sleep
- Improved memory and cognitive function
- Improved skin appearance
- Disease prevention
- Improved ability to lose abdominal fat
For More Information call our New Patient Coordinator at 972-960-4800
Or Fill In the Inquiry Form Below and We Will Contact You!
Hormones for Men: Lab Testing
Restoring hormones for men into proper balance has many positive health benefits. Dr. Scott and her nurse practitioner offer extensive laboratory testing to specifically identify which hormones might need balancing. This testing also looks at other health markers which provide a whole-body approach so that optimal hormone balance can be achieved and any underlying issues can be addressed. Our providers will prescribe bioidentical hormones for men that are produced to exacting standards in qualified compounding pharmacies. These products are designed to mirror the hormones produced by the body. Your lab panel will test levels of the following:
- PSA – Prostate-specific antigen test
- CBC – Complete blood panel
- CMP – Comprehensive metabolic panel
- CRP, Cardiac
- Sex hormone-binding globulin, serum
- Testosterone Free, Serum with Total Testosterone
- TSH – Thyroid
- Free T3 – Thyroid
- Reverse T3 – Thyroid
- Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) – Thyroid
- Thyroglobulin antibodies – Thyroid
- Hemoglobin A1C
- Lutenizing hormone
- Lipid panel
- Vitamin B12 and Folate
- Vitamin D3
Based on your health concerns, other tests may be added. We understand that hormone balance is part of the whole-body balance and in order to achieve optimal health, all systems need to be operating correctly. Hormones are chemical messengers that affect just about every physiological process in the body. They also work synergistically with each other, so if one hormone is out of balance, it is likely that others may be too.
Our providers at Dr. Scott’s office also offer nutritional counseling and discussions regarding sleep and stress management. We understand that an integrative approach to balancing hormones for men coupled with improved overall health is the key to the success of this program and the health of our patients.
Wellness For Men
We all age. But the effects of aging can be counterbalanced with the right tools and lifestyle changes. With the assistance of bioidentical hormone replacement therapy and proper nutrition, we work with you to sustain a lifestyle of wellness catered to your individual needs. The following supplements may be recommended to help you achieve optimal health and wellness in addition to hormones for men. Supplements are an optional part of our program:
- Multivitamin – The average diet can be lacking in complete nutrition due to eating processed foods, nutrient-poor foods, and nutrient-depleting preparation methods. Combine these with the toll of lifestyle stress and oxidizing chemicals found in foods and the environment, it becomes essential to ensure a comprehensive foundation of nutrition for your body.
- Vitamin D3 – The role of Vitamin D in good health continues to expand as the knowledge of this vitamin’s effects on different body systems grows. Research indicates that optimal serum levels of Vitamin D support immune function, cardiovascular health, mood, bone and dental health, as well as neurologic and cognitive health.
- Vitamin B Complex – Supports adrenal and neurological functions. This product features activated forms of vitamins B2, B6, and B12.
- CoQ10 – This plays a major role in energy production and antioxidant protection in the body. It supports the health and functioning of the cardiovascular system as well as that of the neuromuscular and central nervous systems.
- NiaVasc – (Niacin) is one of the most studied and documented nutrients for support of lipid levels, especially high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) levels. Sustained-release Niacin, as found in NiaVasc, has a lesser flushing effect compared with instant-release Niacin.
- Omega Fish Oils – This supplement has been proven to support cardiovascular health, joint tissue, as well as brain and nervous system function. Additionally, it aids in keeping inflammation levels down.
- Magnesium – This is the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body and plays a role in over 300 metabolic processes. It aids in the development and maintenance of bones and teeth, the metabolism of carbs, blood glucose, fats, proteins along with the formation of cells and tissues, and the maintenance of muscle function to include the cardiac muscle. Magnesium provides great symptom relief for leg cramps, constipation, and anxiety.
We use pharmaceutical-grade supplements to ensure quality and optimal absorption. You can purchase your supplements from any source however you are not always guaranteed the same level of quality when your purchase from the general marketplace. We are not suggesting that such products have no value; however, given the lack of stringent testing requirements for dietary supplements, product quality varies widely.
The Gut Health Connection to Hormones for Men
More and more studies are showing how important gut health is to overall health. It is estimated that 70% – 80% of the immune system’s strength is linked to the health of the gut microbiome. When you have a strong immune system, it doesn’t just protect you against acute conditions such as the flu. It also protects you from autoimmune conditions, chronic diseases, and even cancer and cardiovascular risk. Studies have also shown that gut health has a direct effect on how the endocrine system functions.
If the microbiome is out of balance, your hormones will not completely return to a state of homeostasis even with bioidentical hormone balancing.
Balancing the beneficial microbial flora in the gut is key to digestion, nutrient usage, and ridding the body of waste and pathogens. Keeping the beneficial and harmful bacteria balanced in your GI tract can rid you of conditions such as:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Gluten sensitivity
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Joint pain
- Weight issues
- Chronic fatigue
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid reflux/Heartburn
- Auto-immune disease
- Insulin resistance
- Imbalanced hormones
- And more
Our providers are experts in nutrition and gut health, in addition to hormones for men. We offer the following scientific tests to help our patients improve their gut health, overall health, and reduce the risk for chronic disease:
- NutrEval™ – This test identifies issues with nutrient absorption and can be helpful in determining which types of nutrients you are deficient in. Our providers can also provide guidance to improve areas of depletion regarding diet and/or supplementation.
- ALCAT™ – The ALCAT is a food sensitivity test and provides you with a list of the foods that you are sensitive or allergic to.
- Genova GI Effects™ – This stool test gives you data regarding your current state of digestive function, gut inflammation, and the health of your microbiome so that you will know what steps to take in order to be healthier and reduce your risk for disease.
For more information on the Gut – Hormone connection, click HERE.
Our providers at Leigh Ann Scott, M.D. also offer the Neuro HPA Focus test through Neurogistics which accesses neurotransmitter functionality, cortisol, and DHEA in more detail.
About Our Providers at Leigh Ann Scott MD
Dr. Leigh Ann Scott is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology and is a Fellow with the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. She has been practicing for over 30 years and for the last 7 years, she has focused on created individual wellness programs for her patients that balance hormones and restore vitality. She has created a practice designed to provide you with one-on-one personalized attention and will design a plan that is individualized to your specific needs. As a medical doctor specializing in Gynecology, she has experience in dealing with health issues and specialized training in the use of bio-identical hormones and other therapies that help you achieve your goals of looking and feeling younger. As a woman who has experienced many of these symptoms herself, she understands the personal and private struggles the hormone imbalance can create in one’s life.
Dr. Scott is devoted to understanding her patient’s desires, goals, and needs. She accomplishes this by listening carefully as you discuss your symptoms, experiences, and feelings. This communication, coupled with specific lab testing, helps to determine the “root cause” of why a person feels a certain way. Focusing on prevention, Dr. Scott encourages her patients to preserve and promote long-term wellness by taking proactive measures towards achieving optimal health and wellness. Dr. Scott’s knowledge and understanding of health help her design the right protocol of hormone balance, nutrition, supplement support, weight management, and if indicated, food sensitivity testing.
Quality, uninterrupted time with your doctor means everything. In order to provide comprehensive care and address your health care concerns, Dr. Scott’s appointments are scheduled hourly.
Nurse Practitioner Elise Clark follows Dr. Scott’s protocols. Her early training included critical care, surgical care, and women’s health. It was during her time that her interest in hormones began to pique. She saw first-hand that she could help people feel much better and safely elevate their lives with hormones. Elise went on to practice in Family Medicine which helped her become very well-rounded. She still felt passionate about hormones and went on to work in the field of Endocrinology for several years. However, she realized that she was not able to help people like she wanted to in a traditional medicine environment. She wanted to focus on her patients more holistically incorporating nutrition, disease prevention, and education into her practice. This is how she found Dr. Leigh Ann Scott. We welcome her knowledge, compassion, and experience in helping our patients improve their quality of life.
Elise follows the same basic procedures as Dr. Scott for both men and women, formulating the right protocol of hormone balance, nutrition, supplement support, and weight management. Her endocrinology background has also afforded her experience and knowledge in treating thyroid disorders. She works closely with her patients, gains a full understanding of what they have been experiencing and, with the correct use of diagnostic tools and labs, she works to find the underlying causes of symptoms and address these to achieve long-term wellness for each of her patients.
In order to delve more deeply and locate underlying causes of conditions and to provide optimal treatment, we find that we need much more time with our patients and more treatment options than insurance companies are willing to work with. Thus we are out of network for insurance.
However, if you have a PPO type of insurance plan, it is possible that your insurance will reimburse you for some or all of your office visit costs. Minimally, the costs should be able to go toward your deductible. You will pay for the appointments at the time of service and we can provide you with the necessary papers to file for reimbursement with your insurance provider. If you are on an HMO plan, most likely your insurance will not cover any of the costs of your office visits, but will likely cover all or a majority of your lab work.
Regarding the comprehensive lab work that will be required, many insurance plans will cover your labs. However, we do recommend that you check with your insurance company to make sure as some plans have changed how they pay for lab work and may require you to meet your deductible before your insurance pays anything for labs. This could mean a significant increase in your cost of lab work. In order to better serve our patients, we can offer you a significant discount through Quest Diagnostics or LabCorp for self-pay.
Current Covid Protocols in Place
The health and safety of our staff and patients is a top priority for all of us at the office of Leigh Ann Scott, M.D. Due to the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, we are now offering a choice of virtual or in-office appointments.
During your telemedicine appointment, you will still be able to see your provider, just as if she were standing in front of you in the office so that you’ll still get the same “connection” as if your appointment was in the clinic. Additionally, we have mobile phlebotomy services available if you do not want to go to a public lab.
We currently have the following safety protocols in place:
- All providers and staff are fully vaccinated.
- Strict cleaning and disinfecting procedures are implemented regularly. Sanitizing and cleaning products are available for personal use as well.
- Masks are required to enter the hospital.
- Masks are required in all public areas of our office, including the phlebotomy room, lobby, and appointment waiting room.
- Patients who are fully vaccinated may choose to remove their masks during their appointment time once they are in the provider’s office. (Note: our providers are fully vaccinated and will not be wearing a mask). Please bring your vaccine card to your appointment. * In general, people are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson and Johnson’s Janssen vaccine.
- Patients who are not fully vaccinated must wear a mask during their entire visit to the office.
Thank you for your support in helping to stop the spread of COVID-19. We will continue monitoring the latest recommendations from the CDC and adjust these safety measures as needed.
Free Phone Consultation with Our New Patient Coordinator
Our providers at Leigh Ann Scott, M.D. are devoted to understanding our patient’s health concerns and symptoms. We use scientific-based protocols to find the root cause of hormonal imbalances, thyroid dysfunction, nutritional deficiencies, and more. We believe that spending quality, personalized time with each patient provides the necessary foundation to help you achieve optimal health and wellness. Our system incorporates provider consultation, comprehensive health assessment, and laboratory testing in a warm and caring environment.
Contact our New Patient Coordinator for a Free Phone Consultation. She can explain our protocols and fees in more detail, answer any questions or concerns you have, and explain how our approach can help with hormonal balance, anti-aging, and disease prevention so that you can enjoy a vibrant and healthy life!
Please contact our New Patient Coordinator at 972-960-4800
Or complete the form below and she will contact you. There is no obligation to this consultation. If you feel we are a good fit for you, our New Patient Coordinator can also get you booked for your first appointment.